Here comes the poll in which every real Alaskan – resident in the state at this moment or not – has been hankering to vote for a long, long time. So vote now. Vote often. And feel free to add your write-ins.
Lisa Murkowski’s name will be happily accepted no matter how you spell it.
So, with that….
Now that THE BUS – yes, that bus; the famous/infamous, McCandless-Krakauer-Penn “Magic Bus” – has been airlifted out of the wild, what should the state do with it?
- Airdrop it on John Krakauer’s house.
- Put it back “Into the Wild” where it belongs. That is its natural habitat after all, and it was there first.
- Send it to swim with the fishes and Osama bin Landen in the Arabian Sea.
- Sell it to the highest bidder with a minimum starting offer of $5 million committed to the Denali Borough for putting up with the bus nonsense for all these years.
- Cut it into dime-size pieces and sell them as souvenirs to McCandless fans with all profits dedicated to the Alaska Permanent Fund.
- Place it atop Flattop – Alaska’s most climbed peak – as a memorial to all those who’ve given their lives to pay for foolish mistakes in the 49th state’s vast wilderness.
- Melt it down and commission an artist to use the steel to craft a lifesize sculpture of McCandless tourists can come worship at the entrance to Denali National Park, Alaska’s version of Mecca.
- Restore it, put it back into operation in Fairbanks, and dare those from the Lower 48 to come north and ride the “Death Bus.”
- Gift it to the Alaska Public Media Vehicle Donation Program. (Gov. Mike Dunleavy, feel free to vote all you want for this one just to show APM your love.)
- Convince Elon Musk to launch it into orbit as part of the next, attention-grabbing Space-X mission.
Vote now or add your write-ins. Some are sure to be better.